- Learning Studio - week of May 20

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 14:17:36 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:17:36 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of May 20

Again I send a few references regarding items in our collection.

Printed, new acquisitions:

1. The Oppenheimer Case : security on trial / by Philip M. Stern with the
collaboration of Harold P. Green ; with a special commentary by Lloyd K.
Garrison.
General collection circ.
QC 16 .O62 S69 1969
A book on some problems that Exploratorium founder Frank Oppenheimer's
brother Robert had with a few folks in the government.

Printed, not new to the collection but cool:

2. Naked Mole-rats / by Gail Jarrow and Paul Sherman.
General collection circ
QL 737 .R628 J365 1996
They are nearly hairless, live in colonies underground, have teeth outside
their lips, are ruled by a queen that gives birth to all the young and they
feed their offspring...

Video, not new to the collection but cool:

3. Fast, Cheap & Out of Control / American Playhouse Theatrical Films in
association with Fourth Floor Productions, Inc. ; produced & directed by
Errol Morris.
Q 335 .M41 A794 1998
A truely fun documentary with, among other things, a researcher who studies
naked mole rats.

Online resources:

Note:
The online books listed in these reports are freely available over the
Internet.
No passwords are required.

Almost all the online texts available through the Learning Studio catalog
can be located by doing a title keyword search for 'online resource'.

The current count of such resources is:

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
        http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

4. Canadian Encyclopedia Online
When I started working here several people said "another Canadian!" So I
just have to include this title in the collection.

5. Mad Cow U.S.A.: Could the Nightmare Happen Here? (Monroe, ME: Common
Courage Press, 1997), by Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber (PDF with
commentary)
A book for all you red meat eaters.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum