- Learning Studio - week of June 17

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 09:28:33 PDT

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:28:33 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of June 17

This week I want to highlight more of the online resources Stephanie has
been hard at work adding to our catalog.

Don't worry we are going to buy more 'real' books soon so you will start
seeing more of those in these reports.

Note:
The online books listed in these reports are freely available over the
Internet.
No passwords are required.

Almost all the online texts available through the Learning Studio catalog
can be located by doing a title keyword search for 'online resource'.

The current count of online resources is:

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
        http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

1. Audubon's multimedia birds of America
The classic text online.
I also recommend the Audubon exhibit at the California Academy of Science
in Golden Gate Park which runs until June 24.
http://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/audubon/

The diversity in human populations is a very good thing, however the
immigration of other species can be harmful. Here are some titles on
invasive specices which may be useful for the classroom and field trips.

2. 100 of the world's worst invasive alien species
That innocent looking ornamental may have disastorous consequences if
introduced into the wrong environment.

3. Cohen, A. N. and J.T. Carlton. 1995. Nonindigenous Aquatic Species in a
United States Estuary: A Case Study of the Biological Invasions of the San
Francisco Bay and Delta
Pampasgrass and jubatagrass threaten California coastal habitats

4. Harmful non-indigenous species in the United States

5. Invasive plants : changing the landscape of America : fact book

6. Harmful non-indigenous species in the United States / U.S. Congress,
Office of Technology Assessment.

7. Weed control methods handbook : tools and techniques for use in natural
areas
Weed control as applied to wildland environments.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum