- Learning Studio - week of June 24

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 09:35:57 PDT

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:35:57 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of June 24

A busy week, as you can tell by the fact that I am sending this out on
Saturday.

With the summer teacher programs running this place gets taken over by
enthusiastic and lively teachers look for information on a variety of
topics.

One of the things about being a librarian is you get asked questions about
topics you know little or nothing about. This is rarely a problem as the
person asking the question usually knows enough to get the research process
started, the librarian know the strategies to track stuff down, after all
that's why we went through those reference classes in grad school.

This week I had a question I knew a little about, Bay Area geography. A
couple of teachers wanted images of maps that showed elevation information
for a specific part of San Francisco. They searched several commercial
sites only to discover that the maps they wanted cost money.

A quick search turned up http://bard.wr.usgs.gov/htmldir/ a USGS site for
the San Francisco Bay Area Regional Database (BARD). The maps and images on
this site are really big and so may be a slow download. I was able to
select just the portion of the graphic they wanted so they could print it
out.

Now on to the materials.

Printed, new acquisitions:

1. Exotic aquarium fishes : a work of general reference / by William T. Innes.
General collection circ.
SF 457 .I5 1966
Not a new book but new to our collection. Commonly referred to as the Innes
book this is a classic for anyone working with tropical (and non-tropical)
fish tanks.

Online resources:

Note:
The online books listed in these reports are freely available over the
Internet.
No passwords are required.

Almost all the online texts available through the Learning Studio catalog
can be located by doing a title keyword search for 'online resource'.

The current count of online resources is: 169

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
        http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

2. Nobel Prize Women in Science: Their Lives, Struggles and Momentous
Discoveries
The full text of the revised, 2001, edition.

3. National Water Summary on Wetland Resources WSP
Another resource from the USGS

4. Ground Water Atlas of the United States
Yet another resource from the USGS.

5. Niosh Pocket Guide To Chemical Hazards (NPG)
>From the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, a useful
reference for shop and lab.

6. Micro MRI Atlas of Mouse Development
A detailed view of a very small animal.

7. Biotech Life Science Dictionary
Terms dealing with biochemistry, biotechnology, botany, cell biology,
genetics, ecology, limnology, pharmacology, toxicology and medicine.

8. The Scientist.
We have added a link to the online version of this periodical.

9. Electronic Green Journal
"provides peer-reviewed articles, book reviews, news, and information on
current printed and electronic sources concerning international
environmental topics"

10. EPA journal
The journal for the EPA which ran from 1993 - 1995.

We also have in hardcopy as well as online:

11. Building Stones of Our Nation's Capital

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum