Re: Pinhole Digest #685 - 07/27/01

From: Shirley Brungardt (shirleybrungardt@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 11:18:56 PDT

From: "Shirley Brungardt" <shirleybrungardt@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #685 - 07/27/01
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:18:56 -0500

I too would like to hear what Paul has to say, but in the meantime I'll add
some additional "facts" for him to respond to.

Health & Wellness sources state:

"The UVA rays also stimulate melanin but more slowly and safely. Unlike
UVB, they are more pervasive and penetrate glass and other
barriers. Thus, on a long sunny drive, the side of the body nearest the car
window will feel the heat and also develop some color. UVA rays are 10 to
100 times more numerous than UVB. "

In my own experience, I have found that in trying to simplify scientific
concepts enough for younger children, misconceptions are sometimes
inadvertently taught. Perhaps your text tried to clump all UV rays together
and generalized the concept too much.