- Learning Studio - weeks of July 29 & August 5

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 13:36:55 PDT

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:36:55 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - weeks of July 29 & August 5

This week I may seem late, but this is planned.

I am doing a combined message for two weeks

I am heading off to Baltimore for Otakon* on Thursday to do some
presentations and panels and so will not be able to do a posting later this
week.

As we do have one new title to report devoted to botany I am also listing
several older titles from the collection, all titles recommended by our
Reference Librarian Jo Falcon.

Drop by or head to your local library to check them out.

Printed, new acquisitions:

1. The Botany of Desire: a plant's eye view of the world / Michael Pollan.
General collection circ.
QK 46.5 .H85 P66 2001

Printed, not new to the collection but cool:

2. Botany for gardeners: an introduction and guide / by Brian Capon.
General collection circ.
QK 50 .C36 1990

3. The Forgotten Pollinators / Stephen L. Buchmann and Gary Paul Nabhan ;
with a foreword by Edward O. Wilson ; illustrations by Paul Mirocha.
General collection circ.
QK 926 .B835 1997

4. Life Processes of Plants / Arthur W. Galston.
General collection circ.
QK 711.2 .G345 1994

5. The Secret Garden: dawn to dusk in the astonishing hidden world of the
garden / David Bodanis.
General collection circ.
QL 110 .B63 1992

6. The Strangest Plants in the World / S. Talalaj D. & J. Talalaj.
General collection circ.
QK 83 .T35 1991

And one not devoted to botany.

7. The Victorian Internet: the remarkable story of the telegraph and the
nineteenth century's on-line pioneers / Tom Standage.
General collection circ.
TK 5115 .S73 1998

Online resource:

8. CalFlora Database: full text indexing : an experimental, collaborative
project / Texas A&M Bioinformatics Working Group
This one is in our catalog but here is the URL anyway:
* http://www.calflora.org

-----

* What the heck is an Otakon? see: http://www.otakon.com/

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu