Re: 9th grade physical science textbooks

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 00:17:48 PDT

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 00:17:48 -0700
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: 9th grade physical science textbooks

In Pinhole Digest #694, regan said:

>i am looking for a good etxt to use with the ninth grade physical science
>class at my school. i currently use the skinny books from prentice hall
>but am not happy with them.

If the topics covered are "measurement, metrics, motion, light, electricity
and magnetism, and astronomy", then Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics" might
work out just fine for you.

His approach to the various areas of physics is such that you can introduce
related areas - like astronomy - without difficulty.

An important element in the successful implementation of his program is
doing many of the lab investigations and student activities suggested in
the material that is available with this book.

>some people have recommended hewitt's conceptual physics but i am not sure
>if it will be appropriate for ninth grade. please let me know if you have
>any opinions about this.

We have been using Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics" in our 9th & 10th grade
academic program for quite a while and have been very satisfied with the
results.

If you want to convey to your students the "fun" of science, without
getting bogged down in details that are inappropriate for a 9th grade
student, then I think that Hewitt's book, with it's supplementary
materials, is a good choice.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for students in general.

The book has been quite successful for a number of years so you should be
able find imitators that will fill the bill - if Hewitt doesn't.

Lots of luck - ron

p.s. I have no association with Hewitt, his book, or his publisher. I just
had fun using his stuff and the kids did too (and they learned about
physics in particular and science in general in the process).