- Learning Studio - weeks of August 12

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 16:49:31 PDT

Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:49:31 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - weeks of August 12

Another short Learning Studio report:

Jo Falcon has a recommendation for two books on Scanning images into computers:

Avoiding the Scanning Blues / by Taz Talley,
General colection non-circ
Z 257 .T35 2001
(the new one; may be on the New Arrivals shelf)

Start with a Scan : a guide to transforming scanned
photos and objects into high quality art / by Janet Ashford and John Odam
General collection circ.
T 385 .A775 2000

Both of these look excellent.

     -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I recently found an interesting web site.

The Space Studies Institute (SSI) http://www.ssi.org/

Founded by Gerard O'Neil in the 1970s to explore the possibilities of human
colonies in space. Prof O'Neil is widely known as the author of the award
winning book The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space which is now in a
new edition, not yet in the Learning Studio collection.

     -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I mentioned in the last report that I was going off to Otakon.

It was in interesting event with over 11,000 attendees, twice last years
turnout. In the three days I was in Baltimore there were three toxic
chemical spills (non near the convention center), a gas main explosion
(close to the convention center), a water main break (not too far from the
convention center) and a 2 AM fire alarm evacuation of the convention
center 25 hour video viewing rooms (I was in my hotel at the time so I was
not bothered by this).

I had lots of fun and was kept busy with panels and workshops.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum