Another math project idea

From: Gary Horne (gary.horne@excite.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 14:38:25 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:38:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gary Horne <gary.horne@excite.com>
Subject: Another math project idea

Thanks to all suggestions. Keep em coming. This one came to me directly,
and the author asked that I post it for him. It's definitely worth sharing.

****
Hi Gary,
Tien here...
i have used a "string" thing (probability) as an on-going project as well
as a short-term project with my middle school students. It's quite cool
and must admit that when i take it to more complex levels, i don't know
what the fractions/probabilities/outcomes are...
The activity is nice in that students can continually collect data all
week/month/semester long... they learn as the sample size increases, so
does the reliability of the data and that unusual things can occur as the
sample size increases. I have posters students turned in last year if you
would like to see a few... (although i'm in LA)
So what am i talking about anyway??? I call it:
"it's knot fun/ny"
"knot that you would care..."
"what's knot to like?"
"knot all that it seems...'
etc... (you get the picture)
The middle school version:
- get six lengths of string (same color and texture) about a foot long
(you can decide what's the best length after you try it).
- hold one end of all the strings in your fist as your partner ties two
strings (randomly of course!) together at the other end. Repeat until all
strings are tied (leaving you with three knots where you had the six loose
ends before).
- hold the three knots in your fist as your partner repeats the process on
the loose ends.
- PREDICT what will happen when you let go of the strings and shake the
strings out (quite interesting in terms of spatial, abstract
visualizations). It's esp. good for the 8, 10 string combo's... what can
and cannot exist.
- draw and record results
- someone on pinhole should know how to write a program to solve this type
of problem. (hint: that would be very helpful when using 8,10 or even 12
strings!!!!)
- Solve this for yourself... (try the six strings first) it's fun!
In doing this in class, i've found that eventhough the outcomes are more
numerous than three, it is BEST to simplify to just three. Which are:
a) three separate loops (each consisting of 2 strings)
b) a small (2 strings) and a medium loop (4 strings tied together)
c) one large loop (all six strings tied together!)

As Pd (Paul) would say, "it's more complicated than that...", but start
simple... (the various outcomes increase when you consider how the loops
are/can be connected to each other or KNOT!!!!!

ps. a = 1/15, b = 6/15  and c = 8/15  (if i remember correctly)
blue skies,

FAVOR: could you post this to pinhole for me? I can only retrieve pinhole
from this email account and not able to submit to pinhole (must knot like
what i have to say... :o)

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/