- Learning Studio - week of September 2

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 13:00:16 PDT

Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:00:16 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of September 2

Books at last!!

Jo has finished labeling the new books and they are on the new titles shelf
next to the circulation desk.

Three of them are:

1. Cambridge World History of Food / editors, Kenneth F. Kiple, Kriemhild
Coneč Ornelas
Reference (Non-circulating)
TX 353 .C255 2000 2

A *very large* two volume set on one of the favorite subjects of humanity.
Great stuff, so great we have made it non-circulating so folks visiting the
Learning Studio will have access to it and to reduce the risk of injury
from hauling such a large object home.

2. Quack! : Tales of Medical Fraud From the Museum of Questionable Medical
Devices / by Bob McCoy.
General collection circ.
R 730 .M44 2000

It is amazing what people have attempted to sell as of medical benefit. For
a preview I recommend the web site for the Museum of Questionable Medical
Devices.
        http://www.mtn.org/quack/

3. A Fish Caught in Time : the Search for the Coelacanth / Samantha Weinberg.
General collection circ.
QL 638 .L26 W45 2000

Not recommended for eating, from what I have heard this species is far from
tasty and *highly* disturbing to the digestive tract. That said this is a
wonderful account of the search for one of the oldest species of fish in
existence.

We also have on display the model from the Yamaha paper craft web page.
        http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/eng/papercraft/

Next week I'll post information on some of the others.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum