- Learning Studio - week of September 9

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 09:09:37 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:09:37 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of September 9

This week I am happy to announce a few more new items in the collection.

Printed, new acquisitions:

1. Every Contact Leaves a Trace : Scientific Detection in the Twentieth
Century / Zakaria Erzinçlioglu.
General collection circ.
HV 8073 .E79 2000

A very interesting work on modern forensic investigation techniques.
Covering all sorts of details used by experts to analyze evidence. You may
be surprised what can be useful in a case. This work arrived in the
Learning Studio on Tuesday morning, on the way to work I heard the phrase
'forensic anthropologists' used on the radio, this book took on a new
significance in my sight at that moment.

2. Damn Good Resume Guide : a Crash Course in Resume Writing / Yana Parker.
General collection circ.
HF 5383 .P35 1996

Recently one of our Explainers was upgrading his resume. He asked if we had
any books to refer to. When I found out we did not have Yana Parker's book
I ordered it immediately. A very useful book in its approach to resume
writing.

Video:

3. The Wings of Honneamise [videorecording] / director/screenplay :
Hiroyuki Yamaga ; producers : Hirohiko Sueyoshi, Hiroaki Inoue.
General collection circ.
TL 789.85 .Y36 2000

DVD with English, Japanese and English subtitles.

Staff members keep asking me if I am going to get Japanese animation
(anime) videos for the collection. I try not to overdo my obsession but in
this case I found a title that fits the Learning Studio collection every
well. The Wings of Honneamise is a story set on another world of a young
astronaut, Shiro Lhadatt, who volunteers to be the first man in space.
Shiro is far from the common image of a heroic young man, he entered the
program when he realized he was not qualified to be a military pilot. This
is the tale of how he comes to make his decision and then goes about acting
on that decision. Fans of technology will recognize many items from our
world including analog computers, rear propped airplanes and Soviet rocket
boosters transferred to a very different society.

Also interesting is that this theatrical feature was the first anime
produced by Studio Gainax who talked Bandai out of about 7.5 million
dollars just because they thought it would be a cool thing to do. They
rapidly became one of the most innovative animation studios in Japan. The
director visits the Bay Area each year and I hope to talk him into visiting
the Exploratorium next April.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum