Inventions Curriculum and Software

From: Jhumki Basu (sjbasu@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 21:39:20 PDT

From: "Jhumki Basu" <sjbasu@hotmail.com>
Subject: Inventions Curriculum and Software
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:39:20

I'm teaching an after-school science program in the South Bronx that begins
this fall. The theme of the program is "Inventions." Ideally, the kids will
create their own working inventions and learn some science and math in the
process. The 15 or so kids in the program will come from grades 6-8. I would
appreciate your input on the following:

1) Are there existing curricula and books on "Inventions" that you would
recommend as a source of ideas?

2) Is there software you recommend on which students could simulate their
inventions before actually building? I've done simulation work with circuit
projects -- the computer simulation prevents a lot of material from being
wasted because the students can trouble-shoot before working with real
materials.

3) Do you know how I can get a (free!) copy of the video taken at the
Exploratorium of Arthur Ganzen's chain reaction inventions? I'd like to show
the video to the students in the after-school science program.

Thanks!
Jhumki Basu