- Learning Studio - week of September 23

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 09:47:43 PDT

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 09:47:43 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of September 23

Folks:

This week John Turner joined the museum as our Learning Studio Facilities
Coordinator. This fills a position that had been vacant for a very long
time so he has plenty of little, and not so little, projects to work on.

And we have some new books:

1. Learning Web Design: a Beginner's Guide to HTML, Graphics, and Beyond /
Jennifer Niederst.
General collection circ.
TK 5105.888 .N54 2001

A clear step by step guide to creating web pages. Included are examples
from popular visual editors.

2. Web Design in a Nutshell: a Desktop Quick Reference / Jennifer Niederst.
General collection circ.
TK 5105.888 .N54 1999

If you think your are beyond the above title you may want to go straight to
this one. This title is a handy source for information on designing web
pages with lots of tips and solutions for display problems. Another book
from O'Reilly - http://www.oreilly.com/ - one of the best publishers of
books on computing.

3. High-Tech Heretic: Reflections of a Computer Contrarian / Clifford Stoll.
General collection circ.
LB 1028.5 .S77 2000

After working your way through the above books, and making a few web pages,
you may want to read this well written critique of our society's
infatuation with, often inappropriate, using technology.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum