microwaving microbes

From: Science Classroom (stf-lmorton@vom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 19:51:12 PDT

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:51:12 -0700
From: Science Classroom <stf-lmorton@vom.com>
Subject: microwaving microbes

Hey Pinholer Microbiologists,
A couple of days ago we were sitting around the lunch table talking
about the latest...Anthrax-in-the-mail newstory when a thought occured
to me. I would assume maybe this has occured to many but I haven't heard
it elsewhere and am not sure of its effectiveness.
As a protective measure, couldn't the mail be microwaved to kill any
microbes that might be present? I remember hearing but don't remember
where (as per the usual) that microwave ovens can be used to kill germs.
Wouldn't this be an easy way for the "average joe" to guard themselves
and/or couldn't the government make huge ovens to "nuke" all or most of
the mail?
1) Do you knowledgable types think this would work?
2) How long does the average microbe take have thier water boiled and
kill them?
3) Are there draw backs, other than blackouts because everyone is
microwaving at the same time?
4) Where does one submit good ideas, to the right people?
5) Is there another form of radiation, ie X-Rays that might kill
microbes and their spores?

Just wondering, and if I am way off, please feel free to say so. (I
might change my name on my badge next time I come down for a Saturday
workshop though.)

Lou M.