Response to your first question

From: Art Fortgang (afortga@smcoe.k12.ca.us)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 10:01:00 PST

From: "Art Fortgang" <afortga@smcoe.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Response to your first question
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:01:00 -0800

Eric

Wilson/Buffa is a pretty decent text- very good questions at the end of the chapters. They do not do a great job bringing together subtopics, as you say. I don't know any text that does. However, I think the Giancoli book is the best, but it requires students to read. Most students do not take the time to carefully read and that is the real problem. I find that I have to take time from class to have students read a paragraph or two and then ask them what they have read. Going over how to take reading notes is also helpful. But in the end, most honors students do not think they have the time to read subtle material carefully and fool themselves into thinking they are getting what is being read. Cutnell and Johnson by the way is another very good text.

The bottom line for me is giving good demos and labs or activities that supplement the reading. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Art