Re: Mitosis

From: Burt Kessler (bcomet@postoffice.pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 06:25:30 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 06:25:30 -0800
From: Burt Kessler <bcomet@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Mitosis

>We are teaching mitosis for the first time in our curriculum and are
>looking for some kind of hands-on activity or interactive web
>program. Any ideas?

I introduce mitosis with an inductive lesson using an overhead
projector. I draw a diagram of a cell in prophase at the top and two
cells in prophase at the bottom and challenge the students to figure
out what "must" happen to get from start to finish. With a little
guidance and some false starts they can induce that the chromosomes
must first double, then organize themselves before separating. After
that I give them the stages sequentially. Later I do the same lesson
for meiosis and after figuring out the essentials themselves, there
is much less confusion between the two processes

For a hands on reinforcement, I give pairs of students

--
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.  We are
spiritual beings having a human experience.