RE: Free Elementary School Math Software

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 15:19:57 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:19:57 -0800
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: RE: Free Elementary School Math Software

In Pinhole Digest #798, Raleigh said:

>Due to a "dot-com" demise I have been given some
>educational software. It is called "Unifix Software"
>and for those in the know this is a math program that
>has accompaning Unifix cubes to work with. My school's
>problem is that the software was published in 1996 (no
>CDs only floppies) and our school Imacs dont have
>floppy drives. So if you know of any elementary school
>that might want these mostly unopened bundles and has
>Mac OS 7.0 or higher (and a floppy drive) let me know.
>You should also know that the software will be
>unsupported as the company has become "virtual".

If your high schools are like many others, then they will have a Mac lab
(or a teacher who is a Mac user) which has a CD RW drive hooked up to a Mac
with a floppy disk drive. He/she can quickly make mirror images of the
floppies on a single CD for you (if you happen to be interested in using
the software) or anyone else who is interested in using this software and
has a "CD-only" Mac.

In fact there may be someone in your school who has this setup. CD RW
drives are not uncommon among Mac users with older Macs (they use them to
access software that is issued on CD's, to store their digital images and
large files on CD's, and to make backups of their hard drives). So ask the
Mac-users in your school about their setup if you are interested in the
software. Making mirror images of the installation disks on a CD or
transferring program/data-files to a CD(if it is as simple as that) is a
no-brainer.

Just a thought.

ron