Re: pinhole coefficient of friction, mass, and driving up a hill

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 10:59:41 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:59:41 -0800
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole coefficient of friction, mass, and driving up a hill

The dfference between theory and practice in practice
is greater than the difference between theory and practice in theory.

The approximation that the friction force is equal to a friction coefficient
times the normal force (often the weight) is one of the physics approximations
that is the worst when applied to real world situations such as cars.

Paul D