Re: Block Schedule

From: Carlie Fisher (fisherc@mail.pvpusd.k12.ca.us)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 11:11:22 PST

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:11:22 -0800
From: Carlie Fisher <fisherc@mail.pvpusd.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Block Schedule

Dear Mike,
    We may be the only middle schools in the country who did not experience success with the block schedule, but down here in Los Angeles
(Palos Verdes, to be exact) we went off a modified block schedule last year. Having a different schedule for almost every day of the week
(A/B schedule four days a week, with all periods short on Monday for staff development) proved confusing for both students and teachers. We
found that many teachers covered the same amount of material in their 75-minute classes as in their 50-minute classes, and that there was a
lot of wasted time. As far as science instruction in particular, most of the new textbooks design the labs and activities to take place in a
50-minute period, and those that won't fit into 50 minutes fit very easily into two days worth of class time. If you'd like some more
information, just let me know!
    Carlie Fisher