angular momentum

From: MC elover (mcelover@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 10:22:42 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:22:42 -0800 (PST)
From: MC elover <mcelover@yahoo.com>
Subject: angular momentum

hey y'all

i had an important revelation yesterday about angular
momentum as i was wrapping up my yearly 10 minute
super-lecture. most physics teachers end up in the
same boat as me--angular motion is the last topic of
the semester and it usually gets a quick and unworthy
few days with angular momentum being something that
gets barely mumbled as i try to explain why the spinny
stool does its magic.

it hit me, though: angular momentum is an incredibly
important topic!!! from atoms to galaxies, angular
momentum reaches far into many physical phenomena.
conservation of angular momentum could be the most
important law in all of physics for it governs the way
matter itself is contructed.

please tell me that some of you out there actually
spend time discussing angular momentum. and let us
all know how you go about it in a conceptual,
non-mathematical way. this semester may be over, but
we should all strive to give angular momentum its due
next year.

yours in spinnyness
--eric