- Learning Studio - week of January 6

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 10:03:01 PST

Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:03:01 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of January 6

Thanks to some restricted funds we have a few more books to report. Each
week I'll describe two or three titles until I run out.

MAGAZINE ARTICLE:

Stitch-up
New Scientist December 2001 p. 39-40

How to do hyperbolic geometry with knitting needles, much easier than metal
or plastic, more permanent than paper. It even has a picture of a fellow
wearing one of Cliff Stoll's Klein-bottle caps.
http://www.kleinbottle.com/klein_bottle_hats.htm

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

1. The Robot Builder's Bonanza (second edition) / Gordon McComb
General collection circ.
TJ 211 .M418 2000
Small self built robots are a hobby that has been slowly growing in
popularity. These creations can range from kit built systems, many of which
can be assembled in several ways, to scratch built systems. In all cases
there is such a variety of problems and solutions that creativity has
plenty of space to maneuver. This book covers a wide range of robot
building from simple to fairly complex. It is likely to be useful to anyone
interested in this topic.

2. Vacuum Bazookas, Electric Rainbow Jelly, and 27 Other Saturday Science
Projects / Neil A. Downie; illustrations by Jim Wilkinson.
Classroom activity circ.
Q 164 .D69 2001
Science projects are a topic that comes up again and again in the Learning
Studio. Often a parent will come in with child looking for a clue. The next
time this happens I will reach for this book as a beginning point. Plenty
of interesting stuff here, with good clear and entertaining explanations of
the principles.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum