Cleaning Van de Graaff + good web site

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 00:09:33 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 03:09:33 EST
Subject: Cleaning Van de Graaff + good web site

<<
> Van de Graf
> You could fill a book on things to do with it, but the important
> thing is to keep it clean. I used to wash the dome and the column
> before I used it. The other thing is to order spare belts. They
> seem to break when you least expect it.
> Jim

Jim just make sure it is completely dry before using it. Your suggestion
about spare belts is very important and you are correct about them breaking
according to Murphy's Law.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the rubber belts deposit small bits of
material on the rollers. Sometimes cleaning the rollers with Windex as I
first posted is not enough to remove the rubber particles. Scotchbright pads
should be gently used to take off the rubber particles if this is the case
and then the Windex is used.

You can make your own Van de Graaff, for information click on this:

 <A HREF="http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/emotor/vdg.html">VandeGraaff
Generators: Construction & Demonstrations</A>

Taming your own lightening can be fun!

Al Sefl
Collector of antique physics equipment who gets a charge out of life...
Sometimes by accident when too near the Van de Graaff...