- Learning Studio - week of March 10

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 10:55:44 PST

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:55:44 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of March 10

This week we announce our newest web page, the Free Online Publications page.

The page is at:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/eBooks.html

This is a page linking free online books, pamphlets, reports, maps,
databases, and other useful resources we have located on the Internet. In
many cases these are older works that are now in the public domain. In
other cases they are official government and NGO publications made
available electronically. There are even items that are also available as
printed books.

Normally we would not list and link such individual works on our web pages.
Instead we would add them to our online catalog with a link instead of a
call number. The reason we have created this page is that due to the
economic situation we have not been able to hire a replacement when our
half time cataloger left last year.

I decided to at least provide some access and added this page. When we are
able to finally get cataloging done on some of these items they will be
removed from the web page as they are added to our regular catalog. I of
course will be adding more and more items as I locate them.

Presently the page is organized in a crude manner, and will probably
continue to be organized in this way. The first part is items in general,
followed by maps, followed by periodicals.

Tips:

1. Use the search function of your browser to locate items on the page by
searching for key words.

2. To see what we have cataloged in our catalog do a title word search for:
        online resource

Our catalog is at:
        http://library.exploratorium.edu/

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

Paper Airplanes
http://paperplane.org/

Teachers will find plenty of useful information and designs for class
projects.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

A Field Guide to Western Birds / Roger Tory Peterson.
General collection circ.
QL 683 .W4 P4 1990

My first bird identification guide was an earlier edition of this book.
Well illustrated with significant details pointed out in the images. This
guide is easy to use in the field. One of these days I'll take it out to
the lagoon to identify some of the denizens swimming around in the water.

San Francisco Bay Shoreline Guide / project director and editor, Rasa
Gustaitis ; writing and research, text and maps, Jerry Emory ; book and map
design, Reineck & Reineck.
General collection circ.
F 868 .S156 S187 1995

OK your water bottle is filled, you have your lunch and bird, or other
critter, guide. Where to go? One of the same old places or a new place?
This book is worth consulting as it lists so many places along the Bay that
you are bound to find one you have never gone to or have forgotten about.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum