Re: stream tables

From: Fred Stein (fred@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 19:49:05 PST

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:49:05 -0800
From: Fred Stein <fred@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: stream tables

Hi Heidi,

We've been doing streamtable investigation workshops for a few years now
for elementary educators. The easiest way to do it is to use dishpans or
jumbo kitty litter trays for streamtables. We use playsand for sand, though
sand from the beach works fine. Drill a 1/4" hole in the end of the bottom
for drainage. For a water source, we use 1 quart plastic salad bar
containers with different size holes drilled in them. We suspend them over
the end of the streamtable (opposite the drain hole) with a ruler. Students
can fill them with water and let them drain over and over. You can vary the
slope by propping up the streamtable on blocks.

If you want to scale up, you can get "sweater boxes" for under your bed.
They're about 4 feet long and easily drilled.

You can use 5 gallon buckets of water very thin siphon hose for a
continuous stream.

And if you want to go fancy, the sky's the limit using cheap recirculation
pumps and garden hoses and valves for continuous flow and long term study.

Wtite off the list if you want to chat more about some of the stuff we do.

Cheers,

Fred

Fred Stein
Science Educator