- Learning Studio - week of March 24

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 10:54:47 PST

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:54:47 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of March 24

Thanks to everyone who so far has replied to my What Do You Reach For
message from last Friday. I have been able to add several very useful new
links to the pages and we are picking up a few new books that folks
mentioned.

Last week I mentioned New Titles - Free Online Publications page.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/eBooksNew.html

What I expect tyo do with the page is to add a few entries a week or two.
But there will be weeks, like this one, when I find a mine of links.

This weeks major source of online texts is the NASA Histories On-Line page at:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/on-line.html

This quickly became a gold mine of links, therefore the new titles page is
rather full again this week.

What you should do is keep your eye out for links that end in .pdf as these
indicate Adobe PDF files. Such files can take a bit of time to download as
they can be large. So expect to occasionally get up for a cup of coffee or
tea. Which is probably a good thing to do on occasion as it gets you away
from your computer.

You also need the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free and available at:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Why PDF?
These files print beautifully and are an excellent way to reproduce a
document with illustrations and diagrams.

On to new items:

NEW CD-ROM:

1. The Complete Collection of The Amateur Scientist on CD-ROM / Scientific
American, Tinker's Guild.
Classroom activity non-circ.
Q 182.3 .C66 2001

Yep the The Amateur Scientist from Scientific American

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Two journals from the Association of College & Research Libraries.
http://www.ala.org/acrl/

Both have articles of educational interest beyond that educational
institution known as the library. Many issues have articles on Web and
Internet based resources, curriculum theory as well as book and online
resource reviews.

These are part of my membership in the American Library Association and are
added to the Learning Studio collection as soon as they come in. If fact
they don't even get into my hands until they are checked in.

2. College & Research Libraries
The scholarly journal of the Association of College & Research Libraries.

3. College & Research Libraries News.
More than just news this journal also has good articles and a regular
column on Internet resources.

And finally one book:

Square Wheels : and other easy-to-build, hands-on science activities / Don
Rathjen, Paul Doherty, and the Exploratorium Teacher Institute ;
illustrations by Esther Kutnick.
Classroom activity circ.
Q 164 .R38 2002
Classroom activity non-circ.
Q 164 .R38 2002

Another book of stuff from the Exploratorium Teacher Institute that you can
do in the classroom or home.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum