Re: pinhole bronsted/lowry

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 14:14:19 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:14:19 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole bronsted/lowry

Hi Sally

There is a great book on the variious definitions of acid/base.
Atom Electrons and Change by P.W. Atkins

Here's what he says:

When you mix ammonia and hydrogen chloride gasses in air they produce the
salt ammonium chloride in the absence of water. Since the reaction occurs
out of water the standard Arrhenius definitions of acid/base must be
extended.

Paul Doherty