elemental gas

From: yibi smith (yibsmith@jps.net)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 05:27:47 PDT

From: "yibi smith" <yibsmith@jps.net>
Subject: elemental gas
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 05:27:47 -0700

Dear Pinholers,
Can any one explain to me why elemental gases are mostly non metals? I understand and can explain why the noble gases are gases, but it seems as if the elements with smaller, more electronegative atoms would be more likely to form solids.
I have confused myself, but the way that I have explained electronegativity would seem to imply that the most electronegative elements should be solids and elements like lithium or boron should be gases. HELP
Yibi Smith, Dixon High School