Re: pinhole elemental gas

From: Algis Sodonis (asodonis@urbanschool.org)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 07:25:42 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:25:42 -0700
Subject: Re: pinhole elemental gas
From: "Algis Sodonis" <asodonis@urbanschool.org>

One answer that is probably not complete is that elemental gases, like oxygen, nitrogen and chlorine form covalent bonds with each other due to their almost full valence shells. After forming covalent bonds, they make symmetrical nonpolar molecules which have very little mutual attraction, hence they need to be VERY COLD to cohere and become liquids and solids. If you look at it from this perspective, the electronegativity is irrelevant. Their electronegativity difference is 0.

What we need now is a better explanation of how metallic bonding of elemental metals (which have an electronegativity difference of 0) differs from covalent bonding. I have found most textbook explanations of metallic bonds pretty basic and not very helpful.

Algis Sodonis
The Urban School of SF