- Learning Studio - weeks of April 7 & 14

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 15:02:55 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:02:55 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - weeks of April 7 & 14

Folks:

Last week and this one have been crazy.

For this reason I am tossing two weeks into this weeks report.

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK(S):

San Francisco Estuary Project - Reports & Publications
http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/sfep/reports/index.html

This web page lists various publications, most freely available online,
that deal with environmental issues around the Bay. Several of the
documents are PDF files for consistent citation and printing.

Tip: When viewing PDF files download them to your hard drive then view them
with Acrobat Reader. Several of the files are large enough to require a
significant amount of time to download and open within the browser. Keeping
a copy on your hard drive greatly speeds access to the files.

SCIENCE NEWS:

Study Shows St. John's Wort Ineffective for Major Depression of Moderate
Severity
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/apr2002/nccam-09.htm

A news release from the NIH on a study of St. John's Wort that counters
some common views. I guess this is what happens when marketing meets
science head on.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

This week(s) we announce two titles. With energy very much in the news as
well as sunny weather arriving what could be more appropriate than solar
power.

1. A golden thread : 2500 years of solar architecture and technology / by
Ken Butti and John Perlin.
General collection circ.
TJ 810 .B88 1980

2. Practical photovoltaics : electricity from solar cells / Richard J. Komp
; introduction by John Perlin.
General collection circ.
TK 2960 .K65 1995

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu