Re: The cost to make a laser

From: Tucker Hiatt (hiattu00@usfca.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 23:05:38 PDT

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:05:38 -0700
From: Tucker Hiatt <hiattu00@usfca.edu>
Subject: Re: The cost to make a laser

What ho, Art!

Just in case you're in the market for a relatively inexpensive green
laser, and a hand-held model will do, read on...

Howie Glatter of New Jersey sells his 532-nm "SkyPointer" for about
$240 <http://www.skypointer.net/>. I bought one last fall, and am
thoroughly satisfied with it. The SkyPointer makes a very cool laser
pointer. It also allows a physics teacher to show how the
double-slit interference pattern differs for shorter wavelength
waves. Best of all, the SkyPointer's beam is visible to dark-adapted
eyes as it travels through ordinary air -- no chalk dust necessary!
Thus, the SkyPointer earns its name by being a fantastic tool for
pointing out objects in the night sky. When pointed skyward, its
beautiful green beam seems to extend dozens of meters into the air --
far enough to pinpoint individual stars to those in your immediate
vicinity without much of a parallax problem. Any astronomy teacher
should love it.

By the way, I own no SkyPointer stock and get no kick-backs. ;-)

- Tucker

--
Tucker Hiatt, Director

Truth is a great flirt. - Franz Liszt ***********************************