Re: pinhole snack question

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 10:33:45 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:33:45 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole snack question

question 2

The speed of light for light polarized along the direction of stretch for
cellophane tape is slower than the speed of light for light polarized
perpendicular to the stretch.

The difference between the two speeds is also different for each color of
light.

If you put in a light wave polarized at 45 degrees to the stretch the
component of the oscillation along the stretch will move more slowly
through the tape than the component perpendicular. This will cause the
phase of the oscillation to change slowly creating an elliptical
polarization, then a circular polarization, then elliptical again and
finally linear polarization at 90 degrees to the original direction.

The thickness of tape necessary to rotate the polarization by 90 degrees is
different for each different color.

check out the Snack
Polarized Light Mosaic at
http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/polarized_mosaic.html

or Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics book.

for illustrations.

Paul D