- Learning Studio - week of April 21

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 14:44:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:44:43 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of April 21

As I am taking Friday and Saturday off to attend FanimeCon 2002 this
weekend in the South Bay,
http://www.fanime.com/,
I am getting this week's report out a little early for you folks.

This week I have to announce that a great little magazine, California
Geology, will no longer be with us. This slender state government
publication has been an interesting and dense source of information for
only a few years.

For more information on them see their web site:
http://www.consrv.ca.gov/dmg/pubs/cg/
You can also find the magazine here in the Learning Studio.

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

Continuing the transit engineering motif of the last issue, without the
April 1 content, here is a site on bridges.

The Honshu-Shikoku Bridge Authority.
http://www.hsba.go.jp/e-index.htm

I found this site while building our new Web Information Source page on
Structural Engineering.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/StructuralEInfo.html

These folks administer some of the most impressive bridges in the world
connecting several islands of Japan. The site includes, among other things,
a great photo gallery, diagrams, videos, and a bilingual newsletter on long
span bridges in PDF format.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

This week we list two new activity books that have been added to the
collection.

Active Physics / Arthur Eisenkraft.
Classroom activity circ.
QC 23 .E27 2000

EarthComm : Earth System Science in the Community / Michael J. Smith, John
B. Southard ; Ruta Demery, editor.
Classroom activity circ.
QE 26 .S55 2001

VIDEO, NEW ACQUISITIONS

Close Encounters of the Third Kind / a Columbia/EMI presentation ; written
and directed by Steven Spielberg ; produced by Julia Phillips and Michael
Phillips.
General collection circ.
PN 1995.5 .S26 .C5 1998

The Learning studio has a small collection of Science Fiction books and
videos. This is the latest, thanks to a donation, addition.

Water Cycle / Andrej Zdravic and Paul Doherty, Ph.D., science advisor.
General collection circ.
GB 663 .Z38 1993
General collection non-circ.
GB 663 .Z38 1993