Fwd: Teachers needed for small Oakland public alternative schools. Please forward.

From: Ian Bleakney (bleekers@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 19:45:47 PDT

Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 19:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ian Bleakney <bleekers@yahoo.com>
Subject: Fwd: Teachers needed for small Oakland public alternative schools.  Please forward.

Note: forwarded message attached.

=====
Ian Bleakney Science Instructor Merritt College High School Oakland, CA email: bleekers@ousd.k12.ca.us Phone: 510.540.9602

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

attached mail follows:

Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 21:38:38 -0700
From: dennis guikema <dguikema@ousd.k12.ca.us>

** Please forward this message to any person or listserv that you think
would be interested. **

Two high school teachers needed for two innovative Oakland, California small
schools.

1.) Math/Science. Our design team is looking for a math/science teacher
for a new alternative small school with an environmental education focus. A
willingness to create an interdisciplinary and experiential academic program
is a must.

2.) English. Our small alternative high school on a community college
campus is seeking an English teacher. A commitment to project-based and
culturally relevant teaching is essential.

For both positions: creativity, enthusiasm, flexibility, a collaborative
nature, strong classroom management skills, and a credential are all
important. Candidates should have experience working with urban youth and
have tangible connections to the communities we serve. The ability to apply
technology to classroom instruction is desired. Having the skills and
willingness to teach an elective outside of the candidatešs subject area is
appreciated (art, music, foreign language, journalism, theater,
construction, P.E., etc.) People of color are encouraged to apply.

Both of these small schools have the benefit of democratic decision making,
active family involvement, small class sizes, innovative and creative
colleagues, and strong community connections. In addition to these
benefits, small schools also present unique challenges that applicants
should be prepared to deal with: multiple courses to prepare, an increased
time commitment, and fewer shoulders to carry the daily tasks of running a
school are just a few.

Please express interest or pass on tips for good candidates to
teachoakland@yahoo.com