Re: Pinhole Digest #919 - 05/14/02

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 09:43:19 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #919 - 05/14/02

Below is a science program that my daughter is doing
this summer. Robin, a junior, will be living at the
UCSC dorms for the first four weeks of summer. The
progam includes some incredibly cool field trips and
lots of hands on build it stuff plus a rigorous
academic program. It is called COSMOS, costs $1,100
and works out of the UC schools. They are definitely
encouraging young women to apply, although I think
that this summer the courses are full. Next year you
should contact them and take a look at the
possibilities. My daughters core curriculum (called a
"cluster") is on "Bots with Thoughts" and she will be
building a take home robot and programing it while she
studies game theory. While your eighth grader may not
be ready for this yet you might want to keep it in
mind. I have all my daughter's sign up stuff and a
catalog, please feel free to contact me if I can help.

If this is all too much for an eigth grader, the idea
of hitting a community college is great. Another cool
thing would be to voluteer for a local museum as an
explainer in a physics area.

This is the COSMOS Announcement:

UCOP is delighted to send to you for dissemination to
Directors and
School
Partners, parents, school personnel, teachers,
counselors,
administrators
and other colleagues, this year's updated information
about the
California
State Summer School for Mathematics & Science (COSMOS)
for summer 2002.

Three UC campuses---Davis, Irvine, and Santa Cruz will
again be
welcoming
high achieving high school students who excel in
mathematics and
science to
a four-week residential summer program. Applications
received by the
March
15 deadline are more likely to be admitted. Detailed
information is now
at
the COSMOS central website, which links to the three
campus-specific
COSMOS
programs and contacts. Applications and need based
financial aid forms
are
available at the COSMOS website www.ucop.edu/cosmos.

We hope that you will encourage high achieving,
motivated high school
students completing 8th-12th grades to apply to
COSMOS.

Financial aid covering part or all of the tuition is
available to any
student with documented need.

Pease contact the campus COSMOS Program Coordinators
directly for
information after you browse the website. You may
view, download and
print
the application and financial aid forms from the
COSMOS website.

The 2002 summer session dates are:

July 6-August 3, UC Davis
July 14-August 10, UC Irvine
June 23-July 20, UC Santa Cruz

NEW THIS SUMMER: UC Davis COSMOS is offering a new
biomedical sciences
course "cluster" this summer in collaboration with the
Veterinary
Medicine
School; UC Irvine is launching a new aerospace
engineering course
"cluster".
UCSC has courses in cryptography, marine mammals, and
oceanography.
Each
campus offers eight or more exciting course "clusters"
from which to
choose,
in combination with a science writing course.