- Learning Studio - week of May 12

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 13:59:09 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:59:09 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of May 12

As I often say another week has passed.

This week I begin listing the online resources in a different mannr. Rather
than direct you to the New Titles - Free Online Publications page I will
list the items found in the previous week. Included will be the link to the
new titles page so you can look at the earlier entries as well as the
current week in progress.

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

U.S. EPA Region 9
http://www.epa.gov/region09/index.html

Lots of information here, check the Library and Educartion links in the
menu at the left for some interesting information.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

1. Anybody's Bike Book : an original manual of bicycle repairs / written by
Tom Cuthbertson ; illustrated by Rick Morrall.
General collection circ.
TL 430 .C87 1984

Today May 16th is Bike To Work Day. If your bike is in need of repair you
may want to check out this book. You may even want to try to fix you bike
depending on your skill level, or find a bud to help you work on the bike.

2. So Excellent a Fishe : a natural history of sea turtles / Archie Carr.
General collection circ.
QL 666 .C5 C36 1973

So excellent a book, so out of print a book.

It took us about a year to find a copy, and then it was from a free box
that Jo happened to look into. Now we are looking for a second copy so we
can have one that is non-circulating.

ONLINE RESOURCES:

Each week I will list online materials are freely available over the Internet.
These materials were located in the past week by learning Studio staff.

New Books and pamphlets:

1. Beyond Bio 101: The Transformation of Undergraduate Biology Education
http://www.hhmi.org/beyondbio101/

2. Pictorial History of the Locomotive (c1899), ed. by William Wright
http://www.LivGenMI.com/1899LocomotiveHistoryTitle.htm

3. Science Fair Handbook by Anthony D. Fredericks, Ed.D.
http://www.eduplace.com/science/profdev/science_fair/

4. The Young Folk's Book of Invention (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co.,
c1926), by T. C. Bridges
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/preservation/science/inventions/cover.htm

New Periodicals:

1. Access Newsletter - National Biological Information Infrastructure (NBII)
http://www.nbii.gov/about/pubs/news/current.html

2. Journal of Theoretics
http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/

3. The Universe in the Classroom
http://www.astrosociety.org/education/publications/tnl/tnl.html

For the list these are from and other links see:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/eBooksNew.html

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
        http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum