Re: pinhole battery questions

From: Algis Sodonis (asodonis@urbanschool.org)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 07:40:07 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 07:40:07 -0700
Subject: Re: pinhole battery questions
From: "Algis Sodonis" <asodonis@urbanschool.org>

I don't have all the answers, but here are some:

One reason a battery can't discharge all its charge at once is because it has its own internal resistance. I guess this is why if you short circuit a battery, not only will the wire heat up, but also the battery.

The battery does "try" within the limits of its own resistance to discharge all at once into the light bulb, but the light bulb's resistance is so much greater than the battery's that it limits the current at a pretty steady, slow rate.

There is a device that can discharge all its charge "at once". It is a capacitor. They are used to store charge for a flash (it takes time to charge up) and it lets the charge out all at once, which allows a small battery to create such a bright (though brief) flash.

Algis Sodonis
Urban School of SF