Re: pinhole battery questions

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 10:31:57 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:31:57 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole battery questions

Algis,

This is very helpful. I'm confused about the distinction between a
capacitor and a battery: it sounded like from what you wrote that the
limiting factor was the resistance of the light bulb and not the
galvanic cell. So in a flash, wouldn't the difference be in the
resistance within the flash bulb, and not the resistance within the
battery/capacitor?

I guess I am also confused about why a battery has its own internal
resistance. We made galvanic cells using zinc and copper metals and
solutions in class, and I couldn't identify what item was increasing
resistance and decreasing discharge. What would that be, if we used
really heavy gauge wire to connect the metals?

Thanks again for your help!

- Geoff