Dust Devils

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 15:07:13 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:07:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Dust Devils

I think I understand why large storms organize
themselves into spiral patterns, but I'm not sure
about things like little dust devils. Are dust devils
created by "eddies" of turbulent wind? If they are
eddies, do they spin in random directions, as the air
does when it is breaking away from the trunk of a car
at speed? I was looking a these small (some had debris
blowing around at about 4-6 feet) dust devils in the
school yard and they all seemed to spin in the same
direction. They appeared to come from wind being
disturbed by one of our portables. Shouldn't they be
spinning randomly?

Would it be correct to say that the flow of heat
creates the storms and wind, but the disturbance of
wind creates the dust devils?

With firm handshake,
Raleigh