Re: pinhole Eclipse viewing with pegboard

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 10:20:59 PDT

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole Eclipse viewing with pegboard
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:20:40 US/Pacific

Hi George

The pegboard was one of my favorite ways to project the eclipse too.

The fuzziness of the image wasn't due to the penumbra. It was due to the large
size of the "pinhole" in the pegboard. (Although it has a similar origin to the
penumbra it isn't called that.)

Smaller pinholes lead to sharper, dimmer images.
You can do a neat experiment with a variable aperture shutter scavenged from one
of the many dead lenses in the free camera collection at the Explo.
Start with a wide open aperture and project a pinhole image of the sun, then make
the hole smaller and smaller, watch as the fuzziness decreases.

With a crescent sun, the place where the crescent is thickest makes for a
brighter spread of light and so you see the fuzziness better in some places
around the image than in others.

One other thing, during maximum partial eclipse the sun becomes a non-round
source of light, almost like a line source.
If you cast the shadow of a finger, the edges of the finger parallel to the line
of the sun have sharp edges to their shadows while the edges of the shadow of the
sides of the finger perpendicular to the line of the sun have fuzzy shadows.
It was fun to stick out a finger and rotate it and watch the shadow edges get
sharp and then fuzzy. (These fuzzty edges of shadows are indeed penumbras while
the dark inner shadow is an umbra.)

Paul D

The next partial eclipse visible from San Francisco will be in 2012. It will be
an annular eclipse in northern California.