Re: pinhole Eclipse viewing with pegboard

From: George (fosselg@albany.k12.ca.us)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 15:56:02 PDT

From: "George" <fosselg@albany.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: pinhole Eclipse viewing with pegboard
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:56:02 -0700

Pegboard was great. I grabbed a sheet from a staffer at LHS Monday and just
stood there casting dozens of images on the deck.
Interaction with kids, small and big was constant.
However Chron reporter Charles Buress (I assume from the quote in Tewsday's
Chron) asked me about the fuzziness of our shadows. Was it due to the
eclipse? He said 'penumbra' in describing it. Shadows looked kind of fuzzy
on one side.
I said "penumbra sounds good, but I want to ask Paul."
'Paul who?'
"The famous Paul Dougherty of the Exploratorium; we communicate by internet
news group."

So, Paul, my optics is rusty by now.
I took a sphere, cast a shadow, and snapped the image. Looks fuzzy one one
side. I remember that spheres on flagpoles are to cast clear shadows for the
annalemma.
I know I was standing in the penumbra. Was there anything? Or was it my
ancient eyes?

George Fosselius
This year C++ programming at Albany High, Keyboarding at Albany Middle
This Summer: Project QuarkNet at LBNL
Next year--??