Re: pinhole Antarctica meltdown

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 09:11:18 PDT

Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:11:18 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Antarctica meltdown

At 7:41 PM -0700 7/4/02, Black, Heidi wrote:

>I saw a Dr. Muller from UC Berkeley speak last month...he showed photos of
>an area on the opposite side of Antarctica that is growing....I think I
>recall that he found the photos on the web.

Apparently one of the effects of global warming is more moisture in the
air. There have been reports that the Greenland ice cap is getting thinker
as snowfall increases.

At the same time the USGS estimates of sea level rise
http://pubs.usgs.gov/factsheet/fs133-99/gl_vol.html
take the amount of floating ice under water into consideration.

Also when a we get a sudden breaking up of large bodies of ice, like the
case in the past few months, one result is that glacers behind the ice can
now move faster due to the removal of a barrier pushing more ice into the
sea.

The next few years should be interesting to watch.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum