- Learning Studio - week of June 30

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 10:32:38 PDT

Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:32:38 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of June 30

Another busy week of finding and being told about interesting stuff. This
week I have the second in a series of tips on searching the Learning Studio
catalog.

SEARCHING TIPS:

This week I look at a couple of search options in the Learning Studio
Catalog (http://library.exploratorium.edu/).

Keyword VS Browsing

Keyword:

When you go to the Catalog Search screen the keyword option is
automatically selected. Using this you can search for a single word in the
Index you have chosen, title is what is automatically displayed.

Browsing

If you select Browsing the search result will begin with what you typed and
you can browse in either direction from that point.

This can be very handy. For example if you know there is a work in the
Learning Studio collection with the word Web in the title. A search by
Keyword gets you 45 entries. Now if you know the title begins with the word
Web you can select Browsing and get a search result that lists 17 titles.

Browsing can be especially useful when looking for authors or subjects as
you can check for variant spellings in the display and subheadings in
subjects.

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

The Human Eye in Anatomical Transparencies

http://www.orlions.org/eyetour/eyetourhome.html

Based on a set of transparencies published by Bausch and Lomb in 1943.

This site provides an excellent web adaptation of the original work. The
illustrator, Gladys McHugh, not only used older works as examples but did
extensive dissections of 20 eyes and their surrounding areas to study this
limited but complex part of the human body. Text was provided by two
authorities in the field. Peter C. Kronfeld, M.D. and Stephen L. Polyak,
M.D.

This page is an excellent example of the proper use of frames in a web site.

And this week I toss in a little omaki in the form of a non-science site
that you may find useful.

Hum, summertime. For some teachers this means a chance to travel, and for
Exploratorium staff, well there always seems to be someone who is heading
off somewhere either on work or vacation.

This week I highlight a web page I created years ago when I was a librarian
at Golden Gate University. Actually a series of pages, one for each country
in the world.

The reason I am doing that is that I have had many country specific
questions lately and in each case referred the person to these pages as
places to look.

They can be accessed by the links on the far right of the table at:

http://internet.ggu.edu/university_library/resources/rescountry.html

Each page contains a very large variety of links to resources concerning
the country. Included are news sources, travel information, maps,
organizational sites, and much more.

SCIENCE NEWS:

India Baffled by Mysterious Vulture Die-Off
http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/june/vultures/index.html

Vultures play an important role not only in nature but in society in India
where they the majority of the population of this animal has died in the
last decade.

UPDATED WEB GUIDES:

Human Biology
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/HumanBiologyInfo.html

History of Science
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/HistoryInfo.html

Mathematics
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/MathInfo.html

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Ever have a friend in school you could do amazing things with a card deck?
Well recently some of the museum explainers were looking into card tricks
and asked if we had any books on them. We did not,. But now we do.

If you are teaching math or statistics you should find plenty of
applications, and all of us can have fun with these books.

Encyclopedia of Card Tricks / rev. and edited by Jean Hugard, associate
editor, John J. Crimmins, Jr. ; ill. by Nelson Hahne.
Classroom activity circ.
GV 1549 .G7 1974

My Best Self-Working Card Tricks / Karl Fulves ; with 116 illustrations by
Joseph K. Schmidt.
Classroom activity circ.
GV 1549 .F85 2001

New Self-Working Card Tricks / Karl Fulves ; with 101 illustrations by
Joseph K. Schmidt.
Classroom activity circ.
GV 1549 .F84 2001

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Additions for the week of June 23:

New Books and pamphlets:

1. Cathedral & the Bazaar
Musings on Linux and Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary
By Eric S.ÊRaymond
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

2. A Challenge of Numbers: People in the Mathematical Sciences
by Bernard L. Madison and Therese A. Hart
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309041902/html/index.html

3. Climate Change Resources: Glossary
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/publications/outreach/general/glossary.pdf

4. The Complexity of Boolean Functions (electronic edition)
by Ingo Wegener
http://www.eccc.uni-trier.de/eccc-local/ECCC-Books/wegener_book_readme.html

5. Educating Mathematical Scientists: Doctoral Study and the
Postdoctoral Experience in the United States
by Mathematics, and Applications National Research Council Commission on
Physical Sciences
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309046904/html/index.html

6. Elements (English and Greek)
by Euclid, trans. by Thomas Little Heath
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?lookup=Euc.+1

7. Everybody Counts: A Report to the Nation on the Future of
Mathematics Education
by National Research Council National Mathematical Sciences Education Board
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309039770/html/index.html

8. Free as in Freedom
Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software
By Sam Williams
http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/index.html

9. The Future Does Not Compute
Transcending the Machines in Our Midst
by Stephen L. Talbott
http://www.oreilly.com/~stevet/fdnc/

10. Global Warming and Our Changing Climate Ð Answers to Frequently
Asked Questions
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/publications/outreach/gw_faq.pdf

11. Greenhouse Effect and Sea Level Rise: A Challenge for this Generation
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/publications/impacts/sealevel/greenhouse.html

12. Greenhouse Effect, Sea Level Rise, and Coastal Wetlands
James G. Titus, ed.
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/publications/impacts/sealevel/wetlands.html

13. Interdisciplinary Research in Mathematics, Science, and Technology
Education
by National Research Council Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences
and Education
http://www.nap.edu/books/POD263/html/

14. Learning Debian GNU/Linux
By Bill McCarty
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/chapter/index.html

15. Lectures on Elementary Mathematics
by La Grange, Joseph Louis
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/Hunter/hunter.pl?handle=cornell.library.math/0012
0001&id=5

16. Mathematical Sciences, Technology, and Economic Competitivenes,
ed. by James G. Glimm
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309044839/html/index.html

17. Mathematics and Science Education Around the World: What Can We
Learn From The Survey of Mathematics and Science Opportunities (SMSO) and
the Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS)?
by National Research Council Mathematical Sciences Education Board
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309056314/html/

18. Measuring Up: Prototypes for Mathematics Assessment
by National Research Council National Mathematical Sciences Education Board
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/2071.html

19. Measuring What Counts: A Conceptual Guide for Mathematics Assessment
by National Research Council National Mathematical Sciences Education Board
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309049814/html/index.html

20. Moving Beyond Myths: Revitalizing Undergraduate Mathematics
by National Research Council National Mathematical Sciences Education Board
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309044898/html/index.html

21. MySQL Reference Manual
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html

22. Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/toc.html

23. Practical Foundations of Mathematics
by Paul Taylor
http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~pt/Practical_Foundations/

24. Probability of Sea Level Rise
James G. Titus and Vijay Narayanan
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/publications/impacts/sealevel/probability.html

25. Reshaping School Mathematics: A Philosophy and Framework for
Curriculum
by National Research Council National Mathematical Sciences Education Board
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309041872/html/

26. Strategies for Adaption to Sea Level Rise Report of the Coastal
Zone Management Subgroup
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/publications/impacts/sealevel/adaption.html

27. Tools For Thought: The People and Ideas of the Next Computer
Revolution (with all chapters of original print edition, and new chapters
in progress)
by Howard Rheingold
http://www.well.com/user/hlr/texts/tftindex.html

28. Unix Text Processing
by Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/utp/

New Databases:

1. Dictionary of PC Hardware and Data Communications Terms
By Mitchell Shnier
http://www.ora.com/reference/dictionary/

New Maps:

1. Geologic Map of the Central Marysvale Volcanic Field, Southwestern Utah
http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/pub/i-maps/i-2645-a/

2. Maps of Lands Vulnerable to Sea Level Rise:ÊModeled Elevations
along the U.S. Atlantic and Gulf Coasts By James G. Titus and Charlie
Richman
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/publications/impacts/sealevel/maps/index.html

New Periodicals:

World Wide Web Journal (W3J)