Re: pinhole sunburns

From: Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 11:38:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:38:10 -0700
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: Re: pinhole sunburns

Hello, Sharon!

I, too, have experienced the same type of burn. I've driven from
Minneapolis to Montery, CA four times, and much of that time the sun would
be shining through the driver's side window. Even with the windows closed,
I always developed a tan/burn on my left arm, and even left thigh if I was
wearing shorts.

Typically it's only the car windshield that has UV blocking qualities.

A fun way to test your windows is to obtain some UV sensitive beads (we use
them alot in the Biology institutes here) and see which car windows -- and
other materials-- block UV rays. Try different makes of cars, and an old
car, if you can find one.

Have fun, and use sunscreen!

---Karen K

Karen E. Kalumuck, Ph.D.