re: moss on trees

From: ROY MAYEDA (roymayeda@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 06:33:15 PDT

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 06:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ROY MAYEDA <roymayeda@yahoo.com>
Subject: re: moss on trees

Regan,

The moss on the north side of the tree thing is true
to some extent. Problem is, it doesn't work well in a
forest! Larger terrestrial non-vascular plants (ones
that don't have special tissues to transport water)
don't survive well in hot, dry spots. They tend to
grow well where there's shade. The shady side of an
object will be more or less centered on the north side
of an object in the northern hemisphere. Problem in a
forest is that there's a lot of shade all around the
tree, from the other trees. (Also, if the tree's
branches are spread out very low and wide, they will
shade the base of the tree all around.) If the only
shade available is cast by the "body" of the object,
the center of the side with the most moss, algae, etc.
growing on it will be more or less north.

On a personal note, I'm now employed in the wilds of
Minnesota! (Yay!) I've been hired in a town called
Sauk Centre (nearly in the middle of MN) to teach
Chemistry, Physics, AP Chemistry, and Earth/Space
Sciences. Since I've only taught "physics" as part of
general science, I'll probably be asking a lot of
physics questions this year. Thanks to everyone on
staff and the other teachers I've met in the TI
program though, I actually feel pretty well prepared.
Thanks to all.

Roy Mayeda
Sauk Centre High School
(Boyhood home of Sinclair Lewis -- Go Mainstreeters!)