Snapple scintillators?

From: Andria Erzberger (alerzberger@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 08:37:01 PDT

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 08:37:01 -0700
Subject: Snapple scintillators?
From: Andria Erzberger <alerzberger@lbl.gov>

One of our QuarkNet participants sent this message. Does anyone know
anything about this?

"I am participating in a cosmic ray detection project here in NYC (NYSCPT
= New York Schools Cosmic Particle Telescope). While learning about the
plastic scintillators in the detectors, one of the teacher participants
mentioned that he had heard that the plastic protector around the lid of
a bottle of Snapple is made of a scintillating material. He showed me
one and it did exhibit the blue hue we saw with the actual scintillator
(polyvinyltoluene)

Has anyone heard of this? I'd appreciate any info confirming whether
this is true or not. Eric"

Andi
Andria Erzberger
510-486-6610