PINHOLE

From: David Fairman (thefairman@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 15:20:39 PDT

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Fairman <thefairman@yahoo.com>
Subject: PINHOLE

Hello pinholers!

As I've been planning my first unit on measurement, I've decided to try to make sense of the
different types of measurement in the metric system by teaching about the origin of and
relationship between different units.

Examples:
1. There is a relationship between the units of length and volume, with 1 cubic cm = 1 mL. From
what I understand that is by design.
2. The relationship between volume and mass is that 1mL of pure water at standard conditions has a
mass of 1g.
3. 1 degree celcius is 1/100 of the energy it takes to raise water from its freezing point to its
boiling point.

Questions:
1. Is there a reason why a second is as long as it is? My guess is that it corresponds with an
average resting heartrate of 60 bpm (1 beat per second). Can anyone shed some light on this?
2. Is there a reason why a meter is the length it is?
3. Is there something that connects the units of time to the units of length? I thought a
pendulum might be it, but I'm unsure...
4. Are there any other interesing relationships I should be aware of?

thanks for your help...

-Dave Fairman

=====