- Learning Studio - week of September 1

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 11:24:27 PDT

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 11:24:27 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of September 1

This is the weekly informative posting by the Exploratorium Learning Studio.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/

SEARCHING TIPS:

Where do librarians turn to find online answers to questions so quickly?

Well usually we actually find stuff in books as the online world is still
far behind print.

But when we find stuff online quickly it is often because we use the
Librarians' Index to the Internet as a beginning point for our search.

http://www.lii.org/

Try it out and consider adding it to your hot list.

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

Mites and Ticks: A Virtual Introduction-Mites
http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/acari/frames/mites.html

A site devoted to some of the small denizens of the animal world. After all
these little guys are with us every day. But not just the dust mites of
pest control ads, plant feeding mites, parasitic bee mites, mite eating
mites, wind born peacock mites and information on the U.S. National Mite
Collection in Beltsville, MD. Included are electron microscope images of a
variety of these wee beasties.

SCIENCE NEWS:

UC researchers' 'planet' discovery an illusion 'Starspots' cast shadow on
other teams' findings
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/09/04/MN196976.DTL

OOOPS!

Guess that wasn't a gas giant after all.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Manga! Manga! : the world of Japanese comics / Frederik L. Schodt ;
foreword by Osamu Tezuka.
Updated pbk. ed.
Tokyo ; New York : Kodansha International ; New York, N.Y. : Distributed in
the U.S. by Kodansha International/USA through Harper & Row, 1986.
General collection circ.
NC 1765 .J3 S3 1986

Dreamland Japan : writings on modern manga / Frederik L. Schodt.
Berkeley, Calif. : Stone Bridge Press, c1996.
General collection circ.
NC 1765 .J3 S285 1996

Two books on manga (Japanese comics). Not what you would expect in a
collection devoted mainly to science. But we do cover the arts and in Japan
manga is a major form of literature for all ages and tastes. Also the cost
of these was low as they were donated.

In Japan manga can be found in separate publications or included in
magazines along with regular text articles. Circulation figures can be
quite high with popular titles like Shukan Shonen Jump selling 5 to 6
million copies a week, this in a country with a population that is half of
that of the United States.

Manga! Manga! Is a general introduction to manga and probably is best to
read before Dreamland Japan which is a collection of essays on a variety of
aspects of the manga industry.

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Each week I will list online materials are freely available over the Internet.
These materials were located in the past week by Learning Studio staff.

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
 http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

This week I finally have a small number of titles to announce. Two in fact,
both from the Cal DOE site.

Additions for the week of September 1: (in process)

New Books and Pamphlets:

1. Mathematics Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergartin
Through Grade Twelve
http://www.cde.ca.gov/cdepress/math.pdf

2. Science Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergartin Through
Grade Twelve
http://www.cde.ca.gov/cfir/science/all.pdf

-------