Re: Pinhole Digest #1005 - 09/10/02

From: INSECTNET@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 10:21:18 PDT

From: INSECTNET@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:21:18 EDT
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #1005 - 09/10/02

<< the fly >>

Without even seeing the insect, I'm guess "the fly" in question must be
FANNIA CANICULARIS - the little house fly. "Lake Merritt and Greater Oakland
Insects" says "This insect is common in protected areas, including some
porches. Males circle for hours, never seeming to land. They become a greater
pest when temperatures outside rise above 80 degrees. They are hard to
control, since they may breed in bird fecal matter many miles away."

There
 are a few other flies that the restaurant might be tackling. They include
members of the families Phoridae (mausoleum or flies - breed in filth),
Calliphoridae (blow flies - just invite themselves in - the big ones that
won't leave), Psychodidae (moth or drain flies), Drosophilidae (pomace flies
- formerly called "fruit flies") and possibly Mycetophilidae (fungus gnats -
the tiny black ones; they breed in overwatered plant roots).

Source abatement, typically, is the control for pest fly species. I figure
"hocus pocus" must be the mode of action associated with the Ziplock water
bag.

Eddie Dunbar, Project Director
"Exploring California Insects"
5209 Congress Avenue