Earth's rotation and Vortex of Fire!

From: MC elover (mcelover@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 09:52:48 PDT

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: MC elover <mcelover@yahoo.com>
Subject: Earth's rotation and Vortex of Fire!

hey everyone

In this month's issue of National Geographic, there is
a nice piece on the problem of water in the world. In
relation to the increasing number of dams on the
world's rivers a fact was quoted that seemed dubious
to me. More or less it read: "There is enough water
trapped by dams on the Earth's surface to measureably
affect the speed of Earth's rotation."

Assuming they are using an angular momentum angle on
things, this seems a little far-fetched. Then again,
I didnt really sit down to do any calculations.

----------
So, there are some crazy people out there, and a bunch
of them went to burning man. One art instalation blew
me away--the vortex of fire as I refered to it.
Basically these crazy guys made a 30 foot high fire
tornado reminicent of the fog tornado at the
exploratorium. Them built a 40 foot diameter by 15
foot high cylinder in which a giant blower created
swirling wind. Then someone in a full fire suit
stepped inside with a giant flame thrower. By aiming
the flame thrower at the ground in the right spot, a
vortex was created, and swirling flames twisted and
lept their way skyward to the roaring cheer of
hundreds of onlookers. Let's not forget how science
and art go together!

--eric

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute