Re:HELP! LEONIDS EXACT DATE AS WE KNOW IT...

From: Alejandra León-Castellá (leonale@racsa.co.cr)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 09:40:30 PDT

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:40:30 -0600
From: Alejandra León-Castellá <leonale@racsa.co.cr>
Subject: Re:HELP! LEONIDS EXACT DATE AS WE KNOW IT...

Hi Sue!

How good to hear you dear to go out with a group of kids,
hopefully also their families, to watch the Leonids. We
have started doing talks and preparing groups here, using
among other things, the radiant model made at TI- Paul's
idea. It works!! We have also been updating our page on the
web, as you know, in Spanish
http://cientec.or.cr/astronomia/leonidas.html
And we have found inconsistent data in different web pages,
probably not updated lately, so we went to the main sources...

And the main peak expected for North and Central America
will be visible around 10:30 UT, on Nov. 19th. I don't know
what time zone your are in. Costa Rica is UT-6hours, so we
will see it around 4:30 am on the 19th. One interesting fact
is the length of the peak, included in this web page too.
http://leonid.arc.nasa.gov/1998.html
So you are right. You leave for the desert after school on
the 18th and do a vigil until dawn, the next day.

Joe Rao's updates will appear in about another week to 10
days, in the November 2002 Sky & Telescope, his sixth Leonid overview.

Esko Lyytinen's latest predictions are here.
http://www.ursa.fi/ursa/jaostot/meteorit/leoeng02.html

So good luck with the weather. It must be wonderful to be in
the desert.
Best regards,
Alejandra

--