Sharing student success

From: Gail Peiterson (peite@punahou.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 01:38:31 PDT

From: "Gail Peiterson" <peite@punahou.edu>
Subject: Sharing student success
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:38:31 -1000

This is an email from one of our former students who is sophomore at Harvard.... The simulations he has done just blow you away, but seem like the kind of things pin-holers love!!!

Research with Professor Hau went well this summer. I put together a
computer simulation of quantum wavepackets moving in the potential
generated by a thin, charged wire. (Neutral atoms are polarized by the
static electric field and attracted to it by an effective -1/r^2
potential.) You can see some animations at

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~zstone/

unless I change the address. The interesting thing is that the
wavepackets spread out so quickly; in fact, there isn't a regime of
realistic parameters for which neutral atoms will behave classically as
they are captured by the wire. Other members of the group are putting
the system together experimentally using nanotubes, so I may eventually
get to check my simulation against real data.

Aloha, Gail Peiterson
Punahou School
Honolulu, Hi 98622